Wednesday, October 12, 2011

It's only natural I made this

Well, last weekend was Thanksgiving and there were very few leftovers... only turkey, really, and not a whole hell of a lot of it.  We had a full second Thanksgiving dinner with our neighbours across the street and to ensure we had enough food, I made more baby fingerling potatoes and boiled and pan fried a batch of chedder broccoli perogies.

And so, with full bellies, we slept well, but in the morning I found myself with a turkey carcass and a logical idea.

What else could I do? I boiled the bitch and made a fantastic soup.

Ingredients:

Stock:

1 Thanskgiving turkey carcass with meat still on it
8 (I think I used around 8) litres of water. (I filled half my huge soup pot with water)
salt, pepper, dried sage, thyme (to taste)
1 cube chicken stock
1 cube veggie stock
1 turnip, peeled and quartered
2 small onions, peeled and quarters
2 stalks celery broken in half

Soup content

1 cup long grain and wild rice mixture (uncooked)
1/2 cup barley
1 quart baby fingerling potatoes (or as much as you want in the soup) cut into medallions
2 carrots, chopped
1 large stalk celery, chopped
Any other veggies, really. Just chop them up and throw them in. Green beans, cauliflower, peas, corn, zucchini, whatever you fancy. The more you add, the healthier it gets. Aim for solid, firm veggies that would hold up well in a soup.

Directions:

Throw all the stock ingredients into the pot and bring it to a boil.  Lower the heat to medium and allow it to simmer for three hours.
Remove everything except the stock and add the rice and barley for 45 minutes
Add the potato medallions and all your other veggies
Strip the meat off of the turkey carcass, being careful not to strip off any bones, and add it to the soup.
Allow to simmer for another hour
Taste the broth, and taste a bit of  salt or other spices if you feel it's too bland.

Enjoy a nice hot bowl of thanksgiving turkey and wild rice soup.

No comments:

Post a Comment